The character roster consists of characters from Arc System Works published fighting games, such as Project BB Team's BlazBlue, Atlus' Persona 4 Arena, French-Bread's Under Night In-Birth, and Rooster Teeth's anime-styled cartoon/YouTube series RWBY.
The character art for this game is drawn by Higuchi Konomi who previously worked as a character designer of the XBLAZE series.
This game is a 2-on-2, two dimensional, tag team fighting game, which allows the player to switch between characters during a match, or have the character they're currently not using perform an assist attack. Both characters in each team have their own health bar.
The gameplay is almost completely different from BB, P4A, and UNIB. Yet, some of their previous gameplay mechanics are retained and revamped, such as:
- There are only five button inputs: A and B, which are the normal attacks, Crash Assault/Sweep (C button), Tag (D button) and Partner Skill (an Assist button)
- The ”Heat Gauge” has been renamed to Skill Gauge.
- There is now a new meter called the Cross Gauge, which is mainly used for Tag-based combos.
- By consuming a full Cross Gauge via pressing all 5 main buttons at once, a Cross Burst will be triggered. Cross Burst will involve the player’s secondary character entering the fight while attacking their opponents, just as their current character retreats back.
- By pressing the Partner Skill and Tag buttons simultaneously, a Cross Combo will be activated. The player’s partner character will follow suit of their main character and attack their opponent at the same time, however, this will cause the Cross Gauge to slowly deplete. During “Cross Combo” Activation, the gauge in the middle of the screen will increase until it reaches maximum where the Partner Skill is usable via any directions+Partner Skill button.
- ”Overdrive” from BlazBlue is now dubbed as Resonance Blaze, and can only be activated after a player has lost one character. Activating Resonance Blaze will quickly refill the main meter, make all Distortion Skills stronger, regenerate health, and regular/EX Skills can be cancelled into Distortion Skills. However, Resonance Blaze can only be activated once in a match.
- Resonance Blaze state can also be activated during Cross Combo state, except can still be reusable multiple times and can only obtain have stronger Distortion Skills.
- When using Partner Skill assists multiple times until the Cross Gauge reaches Level 4, then when both sides’ own partner down and activating Resonance Blaze, an Instant Kill called Astral Skill (still named Astral Heat) can be usable once the Skill Gauge reaches Level 9, with its input is press down three times+B+C simulations. Due to EX Skill’s nature of depleting 1 gauge uses, Astral Skill cannot be cancelled from there.
- The B+C throw button function is retained from BlazBlue.
- As a result, the “Furious Action” attacks retained from Persona 4 Arena, which often take the form of DP-based moves, can only be activated by pressing A+Tag. Unfortunately, it still cannot be special cancelled during Resonance Blaze.
- Performing character specials with the C button while there is one full skill gauge available to perform an EX move is retained from Under Night In-Birth.
- Standing C activates Crash Assault. An Overhead attack which is unblockable while crouching. After landing the attack, the player can press the C button in time with the final hit to affect the amount of damage done via a rating ranging from "Good" to "Marvelous".
- The Cross System version of Crash Assault can be activated by pressing the Partner Skill button, which switches the player’s main character after they perform a Distortion Skill with their secondary character who will follow up the main character with their own Distortion Skill.
- Normal string attacks are based on Under Night In-Birth, such as having Crouching C as the primary sweep attack, and having “Passing Link” chain normals.
- An Auto-Combo called Smart Combo can be activated by either pressing A or B. These can vary depending on the characters. UNI characters however, is far more universal, such as commonly can chain from Crouching C.
- Distortion Skills can now only be activated via inputting a quarter circle forward/backward input+B+C and costs two Skill Gauges.
There are twenty characters in the base game and another twenty as downloadable content, amassing fourty characters altogether. This created backlash from fighting game fans who have been promised a large roster at launch, while also citing that the game uses mostly reused assets from earlier Arc System Works titles.
However, Arc System Works promised that Blake Belladonna and Yang Xiao Long from RWBY will be free DLC and that the base game is much cheaper than a regular game and the DLC will make it add up to a full game. In the PC version of the game, Blake is instead included as an initial character instead of being DLC, leaving only 19 DLC characters. The first DLC pack was offered as free DLC for a limited time.
According to the Arc System Works president Minoru Kidooka, a Season 2 for DLC is planned.
*Italic denotes for DLC
- Ragna the Bloodedge
- Jin Kisaragi
- Noel Vermillion
- Rachel Alucard
- Iron Tager
- Hakumen (DLC Pack 3)
- Makoto Nanaya
- Platinum the Trinity (DLC Pack 1)
- Izayoi (DLC Pack 4)
- Nine the Phantom (DLC Pack 6)
- Nine the Phantom
- Mai Natsume (DLC Pack 5)
- Jubei (DLC Pack 2)
Persona 4 Arena
- Yu Narukami
- Yosuke Hanamura
- Chie Satonaka
- Yukiko Amagi
- Kanji Tatsumi (DLC Pack 1)
- Naoto Shirogane (DLC Pack 3)
- Mitsuru Kirijo (DLC Pack 4)
- Akihiko Sanada (DLC Pack 5)
- Aegis (DLC Pack 2)
- Labrys (DLC Pack 6)
Under Night In-Birth
- Hyde Kido
- Carmine (DLC Pack 2)
- Orie Ballardiae (DLC Pack 1)
- Merkava (DLC Pack 4)
- Vatista (DLC Pack 3)
- Yuzuriha (DLC Pack 5)
- Mika Returna (DLC Pack 6)
- Originally, RWBY was the only side to have dual audio between English and Japanese for their characters, due to the series being made in the United States.
- On an Arc System Works Twitch livestream it was hinted that the characters from the three other franchises will have English voices.
- On February 16th, it was confirmed that the entire game would be dubbed in English.
- Speaking of which, this also makes the Under-Night In-Birth characters have English voice actors for the first time. The following characters have the following voice actors:
- Before the game was announced, Rooster Teeth, the creator of RWBY teased the possibility of a RWBY fighting game being revealed at Evo 2017 on their Twitter account.
- This is the first time that anything Under Night In-Birth related is being released exclusively on consoles, instead of being released in arcades and then being ported.
- According to Toshimichi Mori on Famitsu Interview:
- Under Night In-Birth character sprites will be redrawn to match with BlazBlue's sprite animation style.
- Currently, there are no plans on including characters from other franchises such as Guilty Gear in this game, despite Arc System Works’ awareness of their fans requests and want to add more franchises in the future, if possible.
- The game's main target crowd are the fans abroad rather than in Japan.
- After New York Comic Con 2017, Arc System Works posted a survey for fans to express their opinions on the game to their official website, The survey closed on November 5, 2017 at 8:00 AM.
- PC version has a regional pricing.
- ↑ http://www.arcsystemworks.jp/portal/post-6756/
- ↑ https://gematsu.com/2017/11/arc-system-works-america-publish-blazblue-cross-tag-battle-north-america
- ↑ http://pqube.co.uk/blazblue-cross-tag-battle-is-coming-to-europe-in-2018/
- ↑ http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/03/blazblue-cross-tag-battles-leaked-footage-shows-ruby-rose-action/
- ↑ https://www.famitsu.com/news/201801/13149729.html
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-l0MYPPBkE
|Main Series||UNDER NIGHT IN-BIRTH (Exe:Late · Exe:late[st])|
|Spin-offs||BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle|